After winning a historic strike against corporate giant Ahold Delhaize, UFCW Local 1459 Stop & Shop workers voted unanimously to approve a tentative agreement with the company. The strike, which lasted 11 days and crippled Ahold’s sales, was a huge victory for workers across the country looking to fight back against eroding pay and benefits as business behemoths pad their bloated profit margins.
The ratification vote, fittingly held on May Day, 2019 was attended by approximately 300 workers and held at the Knights of Columbus hall in Chicopee, MA. Local 1459 President, Tyrone Housey, came up from the ranks as a Stop & Shop worker starting in 1988. Housey discussed each line item with the members and offer some perspective on how the parties reached an agreement on each issue.
As the strike took its toll on Stop & Shop and with the Easter holiday quickly approaching, negotiations took a dramatic turn as the parties began to find common ground and agreement. Housey told members that their solidarity on the strike lines combined with the customers’ overwhelmingly support of the workers is what made the difference.
Some of the key provisions of the agreement by the new agreements include:
Health & Welfare
- All Stop & Shop members will continue to have access to affordable & quality healthcare that maintains eligibility for spouses
Sunday Premium Pay
- There will be no freeze or reduction in Sunday premium pay for full or part-time members
Sick Time, Personal Days Paid Holidays
- There will be no reduction in sick time, personal days, or paid holidays for any current or future Stop & Shop member
- All pensions will be maintained and fully funded
- All Stop & Shop members’ wages will have a guaranteed pathway to earn above the state’s minimum wage
- An increase in rate when moving from part-time to full-time
Housey concluded by telling members to be ready for the next contract fights which is less than 3 years away.
Local 1459 will be holding a celebration for all Local 1459 union members at a location and time to be determined. We hope to see you there and come together to celebrate our unity and strength!