The Union represents thousands of public sector employees.  All of the reasons to join and support the Union for private sector employees described above apply to our many public sector employees as well.

We strongly encourage you maintain or join your coworkers by becoming a full union member to help gain improved benefits and working conditions in the workplace and to have an effective voice.  The more workers who become union members, the stronger you will be and the better off all workers will be.  Whatever you decide, Local 1459 will continue to represent all workers in the bargaining unit fairly.  

Like those who work in the private sector, by choosing to be a non-member/non-payer you will lose the right to participate in any union meetings, election or vote of officers and you cannot participate in any union discount program.   

However, because of a decision of the U.S. Supreme Court in June, 2018, if you work in the public sector, membership in the Union or payment of an agency fee for Union representation is not a condition of employment.  If you choose to become a non-member/non-payer, please notify us by sending a letter to the addresses or e-mail addresses listed above.  The letter should contain your name, home address, last four digits of their social security number, work location, department and job title.

If you have withdrawn your membership in the Union, pursuant to M.G.L. c. 180, s. 17A, you must provide the Employer and Local 1459 at least 60 days’ notice in writing before dues deduction will cease. The Union will also apprise your Employer of your revocation of dues checkoff and cease payroll of dues/fee to the Union when it is effective.  It is your Employer’s responsibility to cease payroll deductions of dues/fees on or immediately after the 60 days from the date the Union received your letter referenced above.